Quinoa. although cooked as a grain, like rice, is actually a seed. In this recipe, we flavor quinoa with cumin and lemon zest and serve it as a side to grilled chicken. Spinach, mint, and carrots add vibrant color to the plate. We love this dish because it's hearty, healthy, nurturing and warm - all that we need on a cold, winter (or in San Francisco, summer haha) night.
Note: This recipe was submitted by Nancy Garcia von Kriegenbergh. She really likes this recipe. She says to be sure to follow the instructions about moving the oven racks and measure all your spices.)
2/3 C. quinoa
1 C. chicken broth
2 large carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
4 tsps. honey
2 tsps. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 (5oz.) skinless, boneless chicken cutlets
Grated zest and juice of 1 small lemon
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 C. baby spinach
1/2 C. fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 tbsps. pistachios, coaresly chopped
1. Adjust the oven racks to divide the oven into thirds; preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line small rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place quinoa in small saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile,combine carrots, 2 tsps honey, 1 tsp. cumin, and 1/8 salt in medium bowl. Spread carrots on baking sheet. Roast carrots on lowest oven rack until browned and tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir together remaining 1 tsp. cumin, paprika, 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub spice mixture on both sides of chicken. Spray chicken with olive oil non-stick spray. Heat ridged grill panover medium-high heat until hot. Place chicken in pan and grill, turning once, until chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer chicken to cutting board and thinly slice.
5. To make dressing, whisk together lemon zest, juice, oil, remaining 2 tsps. honey, and remaining 1/8 tsp. salt in small bowl. Fluff quinoa with a fork; transfer to a large bowl. Add spinach, mint, carrots, and 3 tbsps. dressing; toss to coat. Divide quinoa ixture among 4 plates; top evenly with chicken, pistachios, and remaining 1 tbsp. dressing.
Per serving (1 chicken cutlet and 3/4 C. quinoa mixture)
6 WW SmartPoints; 389 Calories, 11 g Total Fat, 2 g Sat. Fat, 729 mg Sodium, 33 g Total Carb, 9 g Sugar, 5 g Fiber, 39 g Protein